an open or unoccupied space between bodies or things
an interruption of continuity
n. pl. va·can·cies
1. The condition of being vacant or unoccupied.
2. An empty or unoccupied space.
3. A position, office, or place of accommodation that is unfilled or unoccupied.
4. Emptiness of mind; inanity.
5. A crystal defect caused by the absence of an atom, ion, or molecule in a crystal lattice.
6. Archaic A period of leisure; idleness.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.